Search This Blog

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Selectively tolerant

Don't come after me wanting to argue and debate, because arguing and debating will change neither of our minds, it'll only make us angry with one another. This is simply my observation and you can do with it what you will.

Homosexuality is a sin. I'm never going to apologize for that statement. No, I am not "homophobic" and I don't hate gays, it's just a sin. Plain and simple. What I don't get is the Christian world's way of dealing with it. We go out of our way to make sure that everyone knows that we don't hate homosexuals (not a bad thing BTW). The part I don't understand is how, if we're so loving, we ignore and/or despise all the other "major sinners" around us. No one is making an effort to love shoplifters, rapists, gang members, or single parents. Why do we hurry to accept one type and not another? Please do not take away from this that I hate homosexuals, unwed moms, or anyone else. What I am trying to communicate is that in our culture of tolerance I think that we've lost sight of where we should be going. If we simply loved people that way Jesus did, would we have to protest or insist that we do? What if instead of debating or Facebook ranting we just loved people unconditionally, regardless of their choice sin? Maybe we should focus on our personal sins instead of those on the internet? I don't know, and I'm not claiming to know. I'm just wondering out loud. Out loud? On screen? Something on the interwebs..I dunno. Anyways, I just get tired of people yelling about how they love gays and please don't lump them in with those hateful Christians who don't like anyone but themselves...and on and on and on.

I don't know that this has really made any sense. I just think that if we are going to preach that God is a God of love, maybe we should act like it. Or maybe even actually believe it and learn to live it.

I don't understand at all how to love as Christ does. I used to think I had an idea, but then I was confronted with the hugeness and impossibility of it all. I don't get it at all. But someday I hope to. Just a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment