Search This Blog

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Forever a Favre Fan

I know, I'm crazy, right? I mean he is after all, indecisive, a traitor, and dramatic. Also, he should shave. But I just can't help it.

I've watched him play since I was 11, and he's won me more than one Fanball Super Bowl. I've seen him complete passes and win games he shouldn't have. I saw him pass the touchdown record, the start record, and even the interception record. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that last one...but he wouldn't be Brett Favre without it. His reckless and fun way of playing earned him those interceptions and defeats, yes, but they earned him many more touchdowns and victories. I watched him play the day after his dad died, and play well. I watched him win his 200th start.

I've also watched him retire. Twice. Or is it three times? I can't remember. I do remember several off seasons before, being in fear that he would do the unthinkable and never return. Yes, I cried the first time he retired. I was sure football as we knew it was over. I was thrilled when he came back, less thrilled when he landed with the Jetts...but I never gave up thinking that somehow the old guy still had it in him. When he retired the second time I didn't cry. Because I knew he'd come back. And he did. Once again, I wasn't over happy with the team he ended up with. Not because they were bad, but because it's the Vikings. They're like...evil. But I guess you can't be too bad when you've got Jared Allen. So last year, I watched him have the greatest season of a nineteen year career. Yes, they missed the Super Bowl by a play. But would they have even made it that far if Brett wouldv'e retired? I guess we'll never know.

I didn't believe it last year, and I don't believe it this year. Brett will be back. He'll get hit, sacked, and bruised. But he'll also run around on that field, flinging the ball all over creation, and smiling like a little kid the whole time. Because he's Brett.

1 comment: